The Most Comprehensive Overview of How to Install a Bike Seat
A proper bike seat installations one of the most important things in the bike ride journey. Most people start riding without knowing how to install a bike seat properly. As a result, many riders find their backs and balls with pain after having prolonged cycling.
A proper installation of a bike seat helps prevent cycling-induced injuries and increases riding performance by allowing the rider to eliminate rider’s fatigue while ensuring maximum enjoyment. However, this task depends on various aspects such as the types of bikes, bike seat mount, frame size, etc. where it becomes essential for the riders to know the installation steps of a bike seat, saddle, clamp, seat post properly.
Therefore, in this article, I will try to give you a comprehensive overview of installing a bike seat properly. Besides, you will get an idea of installing a bike seat for a child, how to lock bike seats for security issues and you may also know how the bike seat for your ball set properly! Without much delay, let’s jump straight into the content!
Types of Bike Seat Mount:
One of the most essential parts of installing a bike seat properly is to choose a proper bike seat mount or saddle. Choosing an apt saddle generally depends on the rider’s gender, body structure, riding style, and riding style. There are different types of bike seat mounts available in markets to match the rider’s preference. Overall, these saddles can be fallen into three categories: racing, comfort, and cruiser.
- Racing Saddles: Racing Saddles are small and lightweight to provide the rider with greater mobility. They are relatively long with plain seat, with no steep, and highly accommodated to forward swing. In this saddle, the rider controls more weight in his hands and feet and less on the seat. The purpose is to allow the rider with full movement through reducing inconveniences.
- Comfort Saddles: These saddles are wide and covered up with a large pad. So that the rider can easily enjoy a long-distance riding experience. They are specially designed to protect the reproductive organs in the bumpy roads and are highly convenient to women.
- Cruiser Saddles: A larger amount of cushioning is the main characteristic of this saddle. Its upright handlebars, wide and padded saddle put most of the rider’s weight directly on the seat.
How to install a Schwinn bike seat?
In 1817, German Karl von Drais invented a two-wheeled horseless carriage that is considered the modern-day bicycle pioneer. After this, many bicycle manufacturer companies have been established. For instance, Ignaz Schwinn established his Schwinn bike company in 1895.
You can easily install a Schwinn bike seat by following some super easy steps!
- A new bike seat
- Allen wrench
- Loosen screw: By using the right sized Allen wrench, loose the screw on the back of the bottom.
- Install the new seat: it can be done by setting the rails between the clasps.
- Adjustment of seat: the rider can adjust the seat by moving it back and forth along the rails to reach his desired position.
- Tighten the screw: when you are done with adjustment, tighten the screw with the wrench to couple the clasps. Now you are ready to start your journey!
How to install a bike seat saddle?
The saddle is where the rider sits on the bike. A saddle should be fitted perfectly to the seat-post and angled to suit the rider’s needs. To install a bike seat saddle, all you need is a 5.5 mm hex wrench!
- Set the bike against a wall or object to fix it.
- Loosen the setscrews of the clamp under the seat in the back. Usually, older models of bikes have one setscrew, and modern bikes use two setscrews.
- If you have two setscrews, place the new seat between the middle of the two saddle clamps.
- In the case of one setscrew, set the new saddle on the bottom half of the saddle clamp. The saddle clamp has 180-degree divots, attached with the two rails on the bottom of the saddle. When the rails suit the divots, shift the top half of the saddle clamp 90 degrees to fit the bottom half of the clamp with the top half.
- screw up the setscrew using the 5mm hex wrench. Check the adjustment.
How high should a bike seat saddle be?
Many riders become confused when it comes to “How high should a bike seat saddle be?” Here the statement of William Blake is more appropriate,
“You never know what is enough,
until you know what is too much.”
Therefore, the most convenient way to identify the saddle’s perfect height is to uplift the saddle, possibly 1 cm each time gradually. Each time you lift it, ride the bike, and adjust the height. Remember, the right saddle height will cause your leg to be slightly bent, roughly 80–90 % of full extension.
Another easiest way to measure the perfect height is to use the Horse method.
Put a book between your two legs while standing in the ground barefoot. You have to measure the distance between the ground with the meter and the top of the book. This is your horse. Now you have to multiply your horse by 0.883 to obtain the saddle height.
How to install a bike seat for a child?
Do you want to have a ride with your little one, but he cannot sit unaided? Don’t worry! You can easily install a bike seat for a children the back of your seat.
Rear seats are suitable for the child aged between 9 months to 6years. They come up with a base and a seat. Most importantly, they are comfortable and safe.
You can easily install a bike seat for a child by following some easy steps:
Installing the base:
- Remove the screws in the seat and fix the carrier
- Replace the screws tightly to secure the carrier with the seat
Attach the seat:
- Place the seat on the base
- Tightly secure the bolts on the bottom of the seat and to the side
How to install a bike seat clamp?
The bike seat clamp is a circular metal collar tool. Being fixed on the top of a 7/8″ seat post, it connects the seat post to the seat.
Some of the best bike seat clamps may include PLATT, Wolf Tooth Precision, WILEY, etc.
Instruction on installing a bike seat clamp:
- Take off the seat tube
- Take off the spindle from the seat post and fix it in the place of the seat post clamp
- Insert the seat tube inside the clamp
- Harden the screw of the clamp so that it can’t move
How to install a bike seat post?
A bicycle seat-post is a tube that runs upwards from the bicycle frame to the saddle. It can be made up of steel, aluminum, titanium, carbon fiber. There are different types of seat-post such as Plain, Integrated, Suspension, Pivotal, etc.
Riders can install a bike seat post by maintaining the following steps:
- Set up the clamp on the tube
- Pour enough grease on the bottom part of the seat post and the inside part of the tube
- There is a base mark on the post up to which you can insert.
- Insert the seat post inside the tube up to the mark printed on the seat post
- Tighten the torque to stabilize the seat post and tube
How to lock the bike seat?
Unfortunately, bike seat saddles are often stolen. Therefore, the most effective means to protect your saddle is to lock the bike seat or saddle through the bike’s rails and body. Riders usually use cable locks to protect their bike. But if they use cable lock through the rails at the back of the saddle, the thief cannot remove your saddle unless they remove the lock.
Frequent Asked Questions:
Can any bike seat fit any bike?
Yes, modern bike seats are more or less universal. Therefore, you can easily interchange your seat with different seat post. But it is convenient to check the width of the rails and their number on your seat to be confirmed if it will fit to your seat post or not.
Do bike seats get comfortable?
Yes, the bike seat can be comfortable if you can properly install the bike seat, clamp it based on your riding preference.
Should bike seat be higher than handlebars?
If you want to have an upright, secure, and pleasant riding position, handlebars should be placed higher than the saddle.
There is no doubt a proper installation of a bike seat can save you from lots of hassles and life risks. Moreover, proper installation will increase your performance and riding experiences as well. Therefore, it is essential to choose proper bike types and install bike saddles, clamps, and other bike parts properly based on the rider’s preference, riding style, and comfort zone.
If riders choose saddles, clamps, and seat-post based on their comforting materials, sizes, and frames and adjust them according to his heights of the legs, anyone can get a smoother riding experience!